National Kidney Month at Midwest Nephrology
Kidney health is a high priority at Midwest Nephrology and we want you to make your health a priority. March is National Kidney Month, a time when communities across the country bring awareness about kidney disease.
Developing a healthy lifestyle can help you manage and slow progression of CKD and its complications.Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is a serious condition affecting 37 million people. Often overlooked until symptoms appear, CKD is progressive and can put you at risk for serious health complications including kidney failure.
Follow these healthy lifestyle tips to take charge of your kidney health.
- Monitor your overall health. Meet regularly with your health care team. Staying connected with your doctor, whether in-person or using telehealth via phone or computer, can help you maintain your kidney health.
- Take medicine as prescribed and avoid NSAIDs like ibuprofen and naproxen. Your pharmacist and doctor need to know about all the medicines you take.
- Manage blood pressure and monitor blood glucose levels. Work with your health care team to develop a plan to meet your blood pressure goals and check your blood glucose level regularly if you have diabetes.
- Develop a healthy weight goal. Create a healthy meal plan and consider working with your doctor to develop a weight-loss plan that works for you.
- Reduce stress and make physical activity part of your routine. Consider healthy stress-reducing activities and get at least 30 minutes or more of physical activity each day.
- Make sleep a priority. Aim for 7 to 8 hours of sleep per night.
- Stop smoking. If you smoke, take steps to quit.
It may seem difficult, but small changes can go a long way to keeping your kidneys and you healthier for longer. Our dedicated team of physicians and certified staff are ready to assist you with a plan to take charge of your health. Contact Midwest Nephrology today to get started.
CONTACT MIDWEST NEPHROLOGY ASSOCIATES TODAY
Have any questions or concerns? Our dedicated team of physicians and certified staff are here to help answer all your questions and can help set up an appointment for you or a loved one. Contact Midwest Nephrology Associates for more information on Kidney Cancer and for help finding a treatment that works best for you.